You can also read my interview with Kathie Sutherland by clicking here
felicity has a tool kit
for fixing family brokenness:
a rubber hammer for whacking down the lid on anger;
a plunger to unclog the stopped up flow of joy;
paint to disguise glum faces and touch-up long lost smiles;
machine oil for quieting the screech of grinding negativity;
carpenters’ glue for mending shaky bridges;
a bevel for dove-tailing broken spirits;
a sander for smoothing roughened dignity.
lately, she’s learning
there’s much she cannot mend:
round pegs do not fit into square holes;
repairs can’t be made to brick walls or shatter hearts;
screws do not stay in rotten wood;
duct tape and binder twine do not hold it all together.
so she’s packing up her tool belt
locking up the box and throwing out the key;
she’s quit her job
as miss fix-it for the universe;
she’s hung out a new shingle,
“will work for peace.”
she’s using different tools these days:
a level to stay in balance;
batteries for charging up her hope;
a tape measure tracking her journal of days;
a soft cloth for shining up her smile.
she’s simply letting it be,
accepting the reality of it,
brokenness and all.
Who is Kathie Sutherland?
I am a story in progress! In addition to my roles as wife, mother, grandmother, secretary, short story writer, poet, workshop guide and facilitator, I am a great cook, an avid reader, a people watcher and I adore the outdoors, especially the ocean and the forest. I love dogs, cherish my friends, and appreciate good photography. Though I’m curious and adventuresome and really enjoy travel, my home is my sanctuary.
- Beyond these roles, I am a reflective, spiritual person who seeks truth, love and wholeness.
- I respect all life, and strive to be aware and conscious.
- I believe every human being has a story, but that we are more than our story.
- My goal is to continue to shed my ego’s stories and embrace my true and authentic self.
- I am a soul diver whose creativity is filled with images and experiential detail that represent my truest self.
- I love word craft and the power of connotation and meaning.
- I am a lifelong learner who strives to find the gifts in my experience.
- I am a steadfast and compassionate friend, a good listener and cheerleader.
- I appreciate our common need for connection and belonging.
Check her out!
On Facebook: Kathie Sutherland – balancing Act Poetry Collection